Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Howdy, new guy near CC
WarriorFV65
post Nov 24 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,699

Howdy folks, Dennis here. If you've been to a CC autocross in the past few years you may know me as "that guy with the formula whatever". What brings me here? Looking to supplement my seat time in 2015 with some lapping, a la Cabaniss years ago. I'm excited to see that you guys are rocking down there not too far away.

I love me some autocross, but my heart lies in turning laps. Feeling tires/brakes come up to temp, and working on nailing a corner entry or exit just right during a session. Also, multiple 20-30 minute sessions/day > cumulative 6 minutes/day at autocross. Not long ago, I hit all the (two-wheeled) trackdays I could afford around Texas for a period of 6-7 years. Married, kid, sense of mortality changes things. My wife ran as well, and watching her crash in front of me sure had an effect too.

A few questions-

• Low open-wheel cars on track with tin-tops has its hazards. Visibility and taking a bumper to the helmet come to mind. However, with wave-to-pass this should not be a concern, right? I've looked for HPDE's that allow open wheel, and it's hard to come by for these reasons. Regardless, I'm happy to run however you guys place me.
  • What kind of top speeds do your higher hp cars see? "I'm not looking at my speedo" I know, but roughly what kind of speeds. My rear end ratio is pretty short and you guys run some decent straights. I don't want to run out of gear 50yds past corner exit. I have a spare transaxle kicking around, if it's a better ratio I'll swap it out...
The car-
...is a 1965 Shermet Warrior Formula Vee, a 1-off car built by R. Paul Shermet (of Canada eh) back when homebuilt was more common. It has evolved far from your grandpa's old vee. This car wasn't much more than scrap metal when I found it- a sad twisted, broken, and rusted formula vee with a tired 1200cc. It was a blank canvas and begged to be saved.

For the past couple years it has been powered by a 1915cc, complete with the ability to charge itself, cool itself, and (wow) an actual electrical system with a fuse panel and real fuses. Dual Dellorto DRLA40's were a lucky find, but were in very poor shape and took a lot of TLC to rebuild and tune. Upgraded drums to discs to help stop the 3-fold powah upgrade. Electronic ignition because I don't want to screw with points every month, and an electric fuel system with a safety cutoff in case of an unfortunate event. It more closely resembles a Formula FST now, but it's easier to still call it a Vee.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to running with you guys.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whosyourdaddy
post Nov 25 2014, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24

Awesom car , we have had open wheel cars before as long as the conform to D/E reg u may need to check with Steve Romans there has been chages such as arm restrains for open wheels and convertibles . as for speeds it depends on the track lay out. We are tryong to see if we can do the 3.4 mile at least once a year and on that one you have a good long straight . U r welcome and also to the PCA meeting

+Quote Post
WarriorFV65
post Nov 25 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,699

Thanks for the welcome.

No problem with arm restraints, I'll have them either way.

My biggest issue could be short gearing, which currently gives about 110mph at redline in top gear. I checked that spare transaxle of mine and unfortunately it's no bueno. A quick and easy solution would be 24-25" diameter tires on my spare 14" wheels...

+Quote Post
grocery getter
post Nov 26 2014, 07:18 PM
Post #4

DETT Champion 2011 ST2

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (WarriorFV65 @ Nov 25 2014, 08:43 PM) *
Thanks for the welcome.

No problem with arm restraints, I'll have them either way.

My biggest issue could be short gearing, which currently gives about 110mph at redline in top gear. I checked that spare transaxle of mine and unfortunately it's no bueno. A quick and easy solution would be 24-25" diameter tires on my spare 14" wheels...
Starting in Green group for a drivers check, You will be just fine. Do not change before you need. it.

--------------------
For every HP there is 1/2 a HP to be found. Find that hair and split it.
PCA DE-TT Champion 2011 ST2

+Quote Post
andy
post Nov 30 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Andy

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 66

welcome.your car seems like fun and we always welcome drivers who love turning corners. Speed wise on the shorter set ups you will be fine. On the longer setups you with the high hp cars you would be behind but in the green group no problem. We run a nice safe HPDE with good point by passing zones.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 04:37 PM
avana dapoxetine