PCA Taste of the Track Program
Randyb_981
post Apr 14 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 72

PCA's TASTE OF THE TRACK PROGRAM

Have you ever wondered what Drivers Education is really like? Experience the flavor of the PCA Drivers Education with the "Taste of the Track" Program. We have found that there are some members who would like to learn more about Drivers Education, but do not want to be a full driving participant in their own Porsche at this time. As a Non-Driving Participant you will be entitled to attend any classroom sessions, help at a flag station if appropriate, plus you will be a passenger with an approved instructor for one session. This is a good way for spouses, relatives and friends or those not sure of their interest level to experience the activity. PCA membership is not required by PCA, but individual regions may have further restrictions.

Your region-approved instructor will take the time to explain the basics of driving on the track, including track rules, some basic vocabulary and an explanation of "the line" and why we want to drive as smoothly and accurately as possible. Your instructor will drive his/her own vehicle in an appropriate level "run group" session (Novice or Beginner), and will answer your questions as you have them during the session (generally 20-30 minutes). The event chief instructor or registrar will assign your instructor and set up a mutually agreeable session time for both you and your instructor.

This experience is intended to be educational and informative. If you are uncomfortable at any time, your instructor will adjust his/her speed or bring you into the pits at your request. Most instructors truly enjoy taking out Taste of the Track participants, answering questions and hopefully inspiring you to become a full-fledged participant.

You should plan to spend the whole day at the track and sample the entire experience. Regions have a required general driver's meeting in the morning, and often a separate novice driver's meeting later in the day. Some regions that provide event flaggers from within their own driver entrants will have an additional flagging training meeting. As a "Taste of the Track" entrant, you are required to attend all the appropriate meetings, and spend time at a flagging station if approved by the region.

There will be a modest charge for this activity, as each participant must be a paid entrant of the event for insurance purposes. Some regions donate this fee to a charitable organization or special programs. A helmet will be required – you will need to check with the sponsoring region to see if loaners are available. You will generally be required to wear long pants, long sleeves and closed shoes, just as full driving participants; however you should check with the host region for specifics.

Requirements:

· Be at least eighteen years of age

· Sign all appropriate insurance and track waivers

· Complete appropriate entry form including payment of entry fee

· Attend activities as a Novice student, such as a Drivers' Meeting, a Novice classroom, and flagging session, if applicable

· Wear an approved helmet

· Clothing must comply with the Regional rules for Novice driving entrants

--------------------
"Ask me about the monkey in my trunk"

PCA Instructor - Coastal Bend Region & Lone Star Region
2014 Porsche Boxster - #81
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Randyb_981
post Apr 14 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 72

Please add comments, enhancements, thoughts...then I will convert these threads into links for the front page...thanks...Randy

--------------------
"Ask me about the monkey in my trunk"

PCA Instructor - Coastal Bend Region & Lone Star Region
2014 Porsche Boxster - #81

+Quote Post
stangmeister9
post Apr 14 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

AT A LOST...IS THIS DIFFERENT THEN THE TRACK TOUR? TOUR IS FREE AND TASTE HAS A NOMINAL CHARGE?

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy
post Apr 14 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Andy

Member No.: 66

tatse of the track is in car with instructor, touring laps is in your own car led by instructors

+Quote Post
Bill Browning
post Apr 14 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Bill

Member No.: 6

I tried a taste of the track before the fee was required. Ed gave me a ride in his ZO6, the taste was out of this world! His ZO6 knew how to stay on THE line, when to brake, when to turn , and when to make that wonderful music as the accelerator hit the floor music2.gif . Thanks Ed.

--------------------
1990 Mazda Miata project. Partner with Patrick Ransom on a Formula Indy car. My old sometimes reliable 1999 Isuzu Hombre PU.
"Do not go quietly into that dark night but go out sliding sideways screaming WOW what a ride."

+Quote Post
Brandon Thomas
post Apr 15 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 558

Taste of Track Program is a great idea if everyone wants to be involved. Start with a list of those instructors who wish to participate @ the next event. Sometimes drivers may want to take a break & focus on personal improvements, etc. Unfortunately everyone wants to ride in Russo's GT3 everytime he goes out. So I vote make a list before the event & give direction to the participant as to what they need to do.

If they do not make the drivers meeting, politely inform them that they must be here by 0900 so we can maintain a strict schedule.

A cost of $10 to $20 would be priced accurately & could be split 50/50 between the Club & the Driver.
-This would also allow us to cover cost of fuel for the driver taking his time to improve spectator involvement.
-Also the club could use the earned money to improve track equipment or donate to charity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
russo
post Apr 15 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 394

Brandon has a great idea, this item needs to be discussed at the next board meeting so that we can work out the details.

+Quote Post
whosyourdaddy
post Apr 15 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24

Thanks Brandon u can think of good stuff .

+Quote Post
Z06MEISTER
post Apr 15 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Bill Browning @ Apr 14 2010, 10:35 PM) *
I tried a taste of the track before the fee was required. Ed gave me a ride in his ZO6, the taste was out of this world! His ZO6 knew how to stay on THE line, when to brake, when to turn , and when to make that wonderful music as the accelerator hit the floor music2.gif . Thanks Ed.

It is always good to exchange notes with another experienced driver....

--------------------
You are one with your machine when driving at the "Limit"....
Track Toy: 2013 Camaro ZL1
PCA HPDE Instructor

+Quote Post
jaime944
post Apr 16 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 371

brandon is dead on with his suggestions, i was working the gate and i know there was some confusion between the cost of the track tour and the cost of the "taste of the track". i knew the track tour was free, but I heard prices for taste of the track fluctuate between $5 and $20 dollars. i will be there at the next meeting so i will be informed yes3.gif

--------------------
Driver : Unerwünschte Katze Rennen

+Quote Post
handdoc
post Apr 16 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Great ideas everyone.
I agree with Ed, the best thing you can do as a driver is to every now and then take a ride as a passenger with a driver at your, or even better above your, driving expertise level. You always pick up a trick or two.

--------------------

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_...601783596502856
"World's worst 911 GT2 driver"-Top Gear Magazine
(http://www.topgear.co.za/videos/video-worl...911-gt2-driver/)

"Arm on the sill? One-handed corrections? At a F1 track? Really…"

+Quote Post
stangmeister9
post Apr 16 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 54

just my 2 centavos, i would rather pay as a newbie for the tour of the track $5 for 5 laps at 60mph sounds real good and at a bargain price. most of drivers are already giving rides to potential new drivers and regulars for free! why start charging for something that has been done for FREE for so long. that may get a little confusing as to who has to pay (i.e my friend = $0 and a stranger = $5-20) don't see the logic behind that. i also think that most would rather drive themselves around the track then at full blip and potentially make them feel that they could never perform at Bossolo's, Russo's, Rene's, Bassamer's level (sorry if i left you out). that could be intimidating to some new drivers with lesser vehicles. think about it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bassam
post Apr 16 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (stangmeister9 @ Apr 16 2010, 09:15 AM) *
just my 2 centavos, i would rather pay as a newbie for the tour of the track $5 for 5 laps at 60mph sounds real good and at a bargain price. most of drivers are already giving rides to potential new drivers and regulars for free! why start charging for something that has been done for FREE for so long. that may get a little confusing as to who has to pay (i.e my friend = $0 and a stranger = $5-20) don't see the logic behind that. i also think that most would rather drive themselves around the track then at full blip and potentially make them feel that they could never perform at Bossolo's, Russo's, Rene's, Bassamer's level (sorry if i left you out). that could be intimidating to some new drivers with lesser vehicles. think about it!

Looks like "Change we can believe in" has reached our club. $10 for this $20 for that, $5 VIP entry fee and free for the nobodies (as long as they stay in the wildlife refuge area )
smile.gif

--------------------

I love Corvette's! I eat them for breakfast.

+Quote Post
andy
post Apr 16 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #14

Andy

Member No.: 66

Danny we introduced the taste of the track to have some control over the giving of rides so that we can stay within PCA guidelines and to relieve the instructrs so that it frees them up for driving.

I think A nominal fee for touring laps would be appropriate. I say $10 for taste and tour but we will discuss and decide at next board meeting.

+Quote Post
Brandon Thomas
post Apr 16 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 558

A $10 Taste of Track Program sounds good. I'd pay that to ride along w/top drivers & gain knowledge. So I vote yea.

You've all been doing this program for some time now & everyone should have something to share about it. Good Luck.

The TTP (Track Touring Program) wasn't a new concept but it was new to most of us. We gained alot of interest promoting this program @ a cost of $10 to our friends & other enthusiast. Afterwards, I realized that this has to remain free because it is benefitting everyone involved. The Drivers had a blast & some will try again next time, while others step up to Drivers Education.

Both of these programs are going to be alot of fun & hope if nothing else, that we at least give it a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 03:26 AM
avana dapoxetine