Reply to this topicStart new topic
NASA East Championships Road Atlanta
rmj951
post Sep 2 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

What a week I am completely spent! NASA had its East Coast championship event at Road Atlanta this past weekend. I left Tuesday mid day & got to Road Atlanta Wednesday evening. The trip was uneventful except for 2 blown trailer tires.

I was solo on this trip no Jaime although Tomato met me there to help on the radio & to buckle in. Thursdays test went well car did not handle well I was on old tires. The last session of the day I put on new tires & the car was ready to go. Tim the Hoosier rep. was at the event & helped me get tire temps in the pits that was a big help.

Friday morning I qualified 15th overall & 7th in class there were some heavy hitters in class. Home-field advantage at Road Atlanta is huge, I was off pace but kept in contact with the leaders. I knew I had to make it to the Sunday championship race to make the podium. Some of the guys were trying to win it Friday & chaos broke out. I finished 3rd on Friday due to attrition ahead of me.

That night a couple of the local fast guys reviewed data & video with me. They helped me figure out what I was doing wrong & on Saturday warm up i picked up 2 secs I started 12th for Saturdays race & i was much faster & able to keep up front with the leaders. More chaos broke out & a leading Vette blew a transmission oil line & we had contact all over the place. I was able to keep clean & I was fighting for 4th & was able to keep that position before the race ended under yellow.

Unfortunately on Saturday Tomato had a fall in my scooter & we had to get him some medical attention. I got him to the hotel & went back to the track to prep my car for the 45 min championship race. New front pads, fuel checked nuts & bolts & she was ready to go.

Sunday morning Tomato was convalescing in my trailer I prepared for the race. I took the grid & realized that 1/2 of my competitors did not make the grid that must have not been able to make repairs or did not make it to grid on time & had to start from the pits. I then decided no need to push hard for 45 mins. Keep in contact with the Viper ahead of me & see how the chips fall. 5 laps in i was right with 1st & 2nd place cars & right ahead of me. I was in a good spot & wanted to stay there till 5 laps to go.

Just then a Lotus Exige cup car went off in T12 a 120 mph corner hit the outside wall & bounced into the inside wall hard hit. We were under full course caution for 5 laps. On the restart another stock car held me up & i lost time to the 2nd place viper. On the final lap in the car shut off in the final corner i was able to put it in neutral & take the checker in the pit lane. I was not sure if i was in 3rd or not & thought i might have been passed when i pulled in the pits but the Hoosier rep came & handed me a Hoosier hat & shook my hand & said I finished 3rd. The Champagne on the podium was fantastic. I was not the fastest all weekend but, I made it to the end & onto the podium at a national event, It truly was a dream come true!

--------------------
Rene Molina
2014 Howe Mustang
RGV PCA #27
2012 NASA Texas ST-1 Champion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grocery getter
post Sep 2 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #2

DETT Champion 2011 ST2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

Well Done Sir.

--------------------
For every HP there is 1/2 a HP to be found. Find that hair and split it.
PCA DE-TT Champion 2011 ST2

+Quote Post
Ed99
post Sep 2 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 899

congradulations

--------------------
dont look in the rearview it will only screw you up

+Quote Post
andy
post Sep 3 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #4

Andy

Member No.: 66

great story. Finishing is more important than fast.
Who is Tomato

+Quote Post
rmj951
post Sep 3 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

Dallas Carlos on The forum he is a detailer in Dallas Tomato Werks detailing!

--------------------
Rene Molina
2014 Howe Mustang
RGV PCA #27
2012 NASA Texas ST-1 Champion

+Quote Post
Esteve
post Sep 3 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Way to go Rene. Congratulations.

--------------------
'01 Corvette Z06-#76
'96 Corvette LT4
'76 Corvette L48 modified

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 05:46 AM
avana dapoxetine